Well, a year has gone by since we were gearing up to leave Bogota and bring our son home to the United States. We never really finished out the blog when we all made it home. Jumping back into the grind, daily life, and the adjustments of being a new family just kind of took over. This seems like the proper time to bring a closure to this blog and chapter of our lives for the past 2 months in Colombia. The next chapter of our lives as a family began nearly a year ago to the day, so we can look back at the events of last year and remember the transition. Last father's day was a very bittersweet one. In the days just before, Monica and I were both very happy that the court process was ending and that we were both making arrangements to return. However at this very time exactly one year ago on the Saturday afternoon before father's day, I was packing my bags and mine alone. I had to return to the office the following Monday to begin a major project that I was needed for. We had made all of the flight arrangements and embassy appointment for Monica and Matthew but I had to return alone. We were really hoping we would have had everything lined up a week earlier but as things worked out with all the delays and protesting going on in the court system, it pushed the embassy appointment to June 13th on Wed. We had Monica and Matthew booked and confirmed on the Thursday evening flight coming home. I had all the joys of knowing my family was coming home, just not all together. With every article of clothing and item I placed in the suitcase, I felt one step closer to having to say goodbye to my family, which I was dreading. After attempting to get some sleep which I still vividly remember not getting much of, I remember the phone call at 4:30am from Jorge Rico saying he was on the way to pick me up for my flight at 7:48am. I jumped into the shower, got dressed and packed my toiletries. I began to bring my 2 big suitcases and backpack down to the first floor as to have everything ready when the doorbell rang. I went back upstairs and Monica was awake as well as little Matthew. Time seemed to stand still just briefly as I got to sit and talk with Monica for a while. I remember being pretty choked up and giving our son a kiss on the forehead. And then, just as I thought time had put us on hold, the gate buzzer rang. No doubt at all who it was.. It was Jorge. It was time to leave. Sunday morning, Father's day at 4:50am, I said goodbye to my wife and son. I gave them each one last huge hug and kiss. I could hardly utter the word goodbye as my throat was swollen by emotions and I turned and waved with tears running down my face. There was one thing that gave me comfort stepping foot on Jorge's van leaving my family behind. I thank God that her brother and sister were able to come for the last week and that her brother was able to stay in Bogota for those few extra days and help her with the baby and all the bags for that upcoming flight. Monica's sister Marlene was on standby for the flight I was booked on. Once we got on road, our next challenge was getting Monica's sister on that flight. She was number 3 on the standby list of 7 or 8 people. We made it through security and customs surprisingly easy and had plenty of time for a little breakfast and a cup of coffee. We got to the gate and immediately went up to the counter to see if she could get on. They made us wait about 45 minutes but when they made the announcement over the speaker, she made it on the flight. We were both going home!
Jim
No comments:
Post a Comment