Jim and my sister Marlene left Sunday, June 17th. Little Matthew and I will be joining him in a week. My brother Damian stayed behind to keep us company and to help me when Matthew and I fly back home to Houston, Texas. It was difficult to watch Jim go but I know that we would be together again soon. I had to go with Maria Teresa to get Matthew's picture taken for his visa the following Tuesday and I got the call that his visa was ready on Thursday of that same week. I remember going to the American Embassy with Maria Teresa, Damian and my little guy. It was a good feeling to know that we would be going home soon. When I got to the U.S. Embassy we had to wait in a line to enter the premises. Once we were inside, we had to wait in another line so they could check our bags and belongings. When we arrived at the main section, we didn't have to wait long. We were called to the window to speak to the ambassador after about a 45 minute wait. The U.S. ambassador asked me how long we were in Colombia and I told him 2 months. He asked me why it took so long and I informed him that the courts were slow to sign paperwork. He handed me the visa and told me I could go home that same night. When we got back to Casa Yaroslava, Damian started looking for flights to go home that evening. He was able to get us 2 midnight flights on standby through Untied Airlines but it was not a sure thing. We started packing to leave. It was a very stressful situation once we got to the airport. United Airlines didn't have a lap ticket for Matthew so we had to wait until they made him one and almost didn't board the plane on time. Next we had to wait to see if the plane was going to have any empty seats. Thank God everything worked in our favor and we were able to board the plane. I will never forget how Maria Teresa tried helping us get a flight that day and how Jorge Rico waited for us in the airport until we boarded the plane. Those two are both very special people. When the plane took off, I held little Matthew very tight and thanked God for blessing us with our son. Matthew was a perfect angel on the flight and he slept all the way home. Damian and I got to Houston around 5:30 am and Jim was waiting for us. I was so happy to see him and I knew he felt the same way. I could see the joy in his eyes when he first saw us. Our families were eagerly anticipating our arrival and came over to our house right away to meet Matthew for the first time when we arrived that morning.
It has been over a year since we came back from Bogota and we have experienced incredible moments with little Matthew. We have watched him grow and learn all kinds of new things. We also Baptized him and celebrated his first birthday.
Matthew is such a curious toddler. He loves to get into our kitchen and restroom cabinets and other things he shouldn't be getting into. Matthew has a passion for music and he likes to dance. He also gets very happy when we take him to the pool; in fact, he took swimming lessons at the YMCA by our house.
Jim and I bought Matthew a swing for his birthday and he enjoys it when we put him in there. He has a beautiful smile and an independent personality. He likes being around other children and doesn't mind sharing with them. I am so grateful that I have my summers off because Matthew and I visit the library, Gymboree, and do all kinds of fun activities. Matthew has brought us and our family so much happiness! I am enjoying every minute we have together to the fullest. Little Matthew is a very easy going baby. He has been sleeping through the night since we received him and he continues to do so. Matthew loves to eat pasta, green beans, cheerios and yogurt. He also loves when we read to him. He listens and knows how to turn the pages in the book. He knows a lot of animal names and how they sound. He watches everything around him and is very attentive to others.
My first year with Matthew has been filled with excitement, joy and many blessings. Our son has changed me for the better and has made me realize to take time for the little things in life as they truly are special!
-Monica







No comments:
Post a Comment